We recognize that helping nurture and develop young people requires a holistic approach, and so one of EYC’s many unique offerings is a sports programs for our students. English and Computer training are critical for our students, but to truly develop their potential and self-confidence, we must provide additional opportunities to allow our students to thrive.
Our sports program has grown to impact over 200 students every year, and our goal is to expand that to over 300 students in 2017, with an extra focus on increasing the number of girls participating in the various activities and teams. EYC’s sports include cycling, football (soccer), yoga, ultimate frisbee, swimming and dancing.
While our overhead for sports is very low, and we are lucky to partner with some amazing organizations (Indochina Starfish Foundation, Krama Yoga Cambodia, Women’s Ultimate Cambodia, Phnom Penh Ultimate Association and Swa Ultimate) that help our dollars go further, the cost of our sports program in 2017 will be $14,000-$15,000.
Here are examples of where your dollars go when you donate:
- $50 – Allows ten students to join an all-day bike ride through the countryside, including food and bike maintenance.
- $100 – one month of weekly yoga classes for 12 students.
- $200 – transportation, snacks and field rental for EYC’s ultimate Frisbee team for one month (two practices per week).
- $350 – a new mountain bike.
- $500 – Total annual cost of dance/aerobics program (7 students per week per school).
Think about an extracurricular activity that you participated in – the skills you learned, the friends you made and the self-confidence it developed. Please consider making a donation to support these great causes and watch your impact grow.
EYC works in four slum areas in Phnom Penh, Cambodia, and together with the community, we empower vulnerable young people through education, mentoring and direct support.