Exercise is not a part of the culture for many Cambodian families, but the sporting program provides our students with a chance to get fit and healthy, reduce stress, build confidence and also enjoy a little time out from their lives in the slum communities. Over 200 student participate in our sports programs annually. Working with our partners, EYC supports Cycling, Football, Yoga, Ultimate Frisbee, Swimming and Dance. The sports programs are currently operated by our school managers and team leaders at all EYC schools.
Here are examples of where your dollars go when you donate:
- $50 – Allows ten students to join an all-day bike ride through the countryside, including food and bike maintenance.
- $100 – one month of weekly yoga classes for 12 students.
- $200 – transportation, snacks and field rental for EYC’s ultimate Frisbee team for one month (two practices per week).
- $350 – a new mountain bike.
- $500 – Total annual cost of dance/aerobics program (7 students per week per school).
Seeing a child’s face after their first goal or mountain bike riding is priceless, and the students have fun playing with their peers, feeling a sense of belonging and friendship.