A New Location for our Youth School
In 2009, we opened our Youth School in Boeung Kok’s Village 14 to provide education and community organizing to the residents there. We’ve had a lot of success there, including:
- English classes for 143 students (6 hours/day, M-F)
- A computer lab where students learn Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Photoshop, Email, etc
- Medical clinic run by medical doctors finishing their residencies on Saturdays
- Weekly dentist trips for kids (under 18) for cleanings, fillings, extractions, etc
- Sports programs, including a soccer team (kids under 14) and a cycling team
- Community Organizing training on Sundays
We couldn’t continue the lease at our previous location, so we found a new facility about 1km north along the tracks. We have more space and an overall better situation. We’ll miss the old space, since it was a pretty special house, up high on stilts!
There is still renovation to be done, including finishing the computer lab, but English classes and other programs are going strong. Almost all of the students from the old location still attend, and we’ve gained a few too!
Our school is renting five rooms in a mostly residential complex.
We are still close to the train tracks, which are currently not in operation. Our school room is on the left.
There is a lot of life going on in the community near the Youth School.
Our Youth School Manager is Kungkea. He’s doing a great job!